Thursday, December 1, 2016
Warm up: What are your thoughts about the ending of the book? What do you think happened to Jonas and Gabrielle? Do they die or do they really find Elsewhere?
The Giver Unit Reading Test:
Write in your RRJ. If you could write the next chapter for The Giver, what would happen? Write an outline/summary that continues the book.
Tuesday, November 29, 2016
- Read aloud Ch. 22--23 pg. 170--179. Finish the two questions on the Ch. 19--23 Questions when the teacher finishes reading. Make sure you turn it in.
- Watch movie from 1 hour and 10 minutes to end (1: 28:00) Remember that a lot of the action (the plane, Asher as pilot, the Giver and Fiona in jail) are just part of the Hollywood drama--these things didn’t happen in the book. But the very last minutes of the movie (when they’re in the snow) parallel the book. At the end of the movie, discuss the ending, similarities/differences between the book and movie etc. . .
- If there's time left, read silently (from The Giver or another book)
Update graphic organizer
Review ch. 20 questions
1. Read the ending (ch. 21--23)
2. Answer questions
3. Catch up on reading
Turn in The Giver Graphic Organizer
Turn in Ch. 19--23 Questions
Finish any reading that you haven't done
Monday, November 28, 2016
What are some ways that The Giver book is different or similar than the movie?
Kagan Inside-Outside Circle
Update your graphic organizer with notes from chapters 14-19
Ch 19--23 Questions in Google Classroom
Teacher Read Aloud
Read Chapter 19 out-loud
Students answer questions (in GC)
Read chapter 20 at home--answer ch. 20 questions in GC
Thursday, November 17, 2016
Warning: We will watch about 55 minutes of the movie today. A lot of what you will see today is VERY different from the book. You need to continue to do the reading so you know what really happens.
Go to GC and take the Ch. 10--11 quiz
Go to Quizlet: review Ch. 11-16 vocabulary
link on GC
Watch movie from 23 minutes to 1 hour 16 minutes
(Your graphic organizer should already be updated. Don't add events from the movie to it--the movie is too different from the book.)
Venn diagram--how is the movie different than the book?
Discuss ways the book and movie are different
HAVE A WONDERFUL BREAK!!!
Audiobook link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9W84aSHNA6w
Homework: Ch. 7-9
Wednesday, November 16, 2016
- Take The Giver Quiz ch. 4-6--You must get at least 66% in order to watch the movie
- Start reading Ch. 7 (10 minutes)
- Watch movie
- You will do The Giver graphic organizer (at least 5 observations today)
HW: Per 3 Read Chapter 9
Per 4 Skim Chapter 7-9
Per6 Skim Chapter 7-9
If you want to use the audiobook (link on GC) Chapter 7 starts at 1 hour, 12 minutes, 20 seconds